Thursday, August 25, 2016

Alodia Gosiengfiao one of headline Cosplayers for AsiaPop 2016



Alodia Gosiengfiao one of headline Cosplayers for AsiaPop 2016
by rick olivares

Alodia Gosiengfiao, who is one of the more popular Cosplayers not only in the Philippines but all over the world is once more one of the main guests for AsiaPop Comicon 2016. The Cosplay darling will also be one of the judges for the Cosplay Authority Global Challenge during the event that saw a winner from last year’s staging take home $10,000 as the grand prize. 

“I love the fact that Cosplay (costume play) has elevated from a hobby to an art form and a worldwide event,” said the 28-year old who first got into role playing game when she was in high school.  "When I started out, it was a hobby. Now, it still is a hobby but it is also work. I took up Information Design in Ateneo and cosplay has helped my career tremendously. When I was still in school, my parents thought that my hobby was getting too expensive and they told me to do something more practical. I would save my allowance just to buy materials for cosplay. But they see where it has taken me and they are very much supportive now.”

Gosiengfiao has used her success in cosplay to professionally host, model, sing, and act! She is also appearing in the new Resident Evil film, “The Final Chapter.” It will be her second international film after “Crossroads” a Japanese drama that was released last year.

“It’s incredible, isn’t it?” she wondered during the press conference for AsiaPop Comicon held last Wednesday, August 24, at the Conrad Hotel in Pasay City. “I still have to pinch myself just to see if I am dreaming up all of this. I am very honored and very lucky to be recognized for this craft. I never expected to be where I am. I am just doing something that I love."

“I'm still thinking of ways to improve the community. I hope just as cosplay has been good for me, it inspires more people to succeed,” she added pointing out to the CAGE event that will open more doors for its participants. Who knows what this will lead to?”

For this event, Gosiengfiao will be donning a costume of DC Comics’ anti-hero Harley Quinn. “Not the film version,” she said of the make over the character was given in the recent film, Suicide Squad, where the character was played by actress Margot Robbie. She cited her cosplay of Go Go Tomago from the film, “Big Hero 6” as the one that fans love the most. “Especially kids! I love the way their eyes light up when I wear Go Go’s costume!" 

AsiaPop Comicon 2016, the second staging of the country’s biggest pop culture event will be held at the SMX Convention Center in Pasay City from August 26-28.


No comments:

Post a Comment